I look up and see the expanse of sky,
Not the broken shards of blue.
I look around and see the trees blowing in the wind,
Not the great oaks surrender at the hand of an axe.
I look upon the earth and see its mask,
Not the face I have destroyed so long ago.
I close my eyes I cannot see.
I cover my ears I cannot hear.
I silence my voice and I cannot speak out.
Like this I have reached perfection.
Like this the world is beautiful.
I wrote this poem to show how oblivious people are to the world and the problems around them. Continuously we are told that the ozone is being destroyed, that the amount of trees is slowly dwindling, that animals are being innocently killed; and yet we choose to do nothing. Each and every one of us lives in a world of hurt and anger, hunger and poverty, yet still we walk past those begging for a coin, we ignore the kid being bullied at school, we continuously tell ourselves that just one person died, just one person was hurt, “it won’t happen again”, there’s no reason for us to take a stand. People seem to think that if they just ignore the problem, if they turn their head from the danger then it will stop, then it will not happen. It reminds me of how some little kids play hide and seek, they cover their eyes and assume that if they cannot see, then they will not be seen. Most of us are no longer children, we can no longer just shield our eyes, it is time that we stop switching the channel when ASPSA commercials come on, or throwing out the charity organization letters, they don’t lie when they say that one quarter can make a difference. Not everyone can join a foundation, or donate, but there is always other ways to help, one small change made by each and every person on this planet and can make a change.
My writing inspiration for this was the book terrible things, how each animal tried to ignore the problem hoping it would go away, but each time the terrible things came back, and each time again they tried to ignore it until no one was left. I thought of some of the things I have often found myself doing, that in a smaller way could relate to the animals in the book; and mine was the homeless, the starving, the hurt, and uncared for, how each day without realizing, I heedlessly ignore these problems, because they are not in front of me, because I do not have to live them, I don’t think of them. Realizing this I will try to make more of an effort in donating and helping people and our earth.
No comments:
Post a Comment