Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Response to Another sonnet for stephan by Alvin lester sitomen

This sonnet I feel is from the perspective of a father to his son, as his son grows through life and as he leaves it. An observation I had while reading this sonnet, is that at the end of the poem Sitomen says that " The boy, the youth, the man are each now gone except in my heart they linger on." When something lingers it seems to me a faded but there presence of something, the remains of what had been there before- I think this shows how though Stephan is still alive within this man like anything else he has begun to fade a sense of moving on. I notice in this poem that this boy, this man, is described in a sense of perfection, see through admirer’s eyes- this person full of wealth of intelligence and yet not anything deeper than pure observations made from an outsiders view. My interpretation of this Sonnet is that it shows the void between Stephan and Sitomen, the unspoken and unbreakable wall keeping them apart.
I think this because in the sonnet the writer keeps repeating the line "I see", never are the words "he is", "there was", said in the sonnet. This shows the void between them because it’s the author explaining his observations what he could physically see and absorb from a distance- it doesn’t lead into Stephan’s thoughts, his take on life, why he turned out to be this way- it doesn’t even allude to who he was. These words only explain the character that Stephan portrayed to the outside world, to those that could look upon him in awe, to those that admired him from afar and all his success. If I were to say "I see a nice man walking by," it simply wouldn’t make sense, your eyes are the only part of you that can’t get to know a person a real level, that can’t tell them apart aside from looks from every other being on this earth. "I see" can only show you the cover of a book- not what is on the inside. Therefore this shows the distance between them how whoever admired Stephan so greatly could never know him on a personal level.
Another reason I believe that this poem shows the void between Stephan and the writer is because as I mentioned before this man and boy is described in a sense of perfection. He seems to be everything that people strive to be and yet I know for a fact that this cannot be who Stephan truly is because no one has can reach perfection. I think that because the writer is only seeing him from the outside he does not know the darkness that lingers within him, he does not know the bad secrets that hide beneath the surface, he cannot see all of Stephan’s regrets and mistakes. The way the author talks about him is as if Stephan is an untouched masterpiece unstained- it’s the way you could talk about someone’s art when you stand back and see all of its glory, without knowing the artist, without knowing the story behind its brilliant strokes.
To conclude I believe that another sonnet for Stephan is about the distance between the writer and this Stephan. I believe this to be true because of how amazing and unrealistically perfect this man is described as and how the author keeps repeating the very distant words, “I see". But maybe if the author wasn’t trying to convey the void in their relationship he could also be trying to convey the closeness of it. That no matter what dark secrets bad pasts, stained memories Stephan possessed, the author could look past that and only see the good in him only see his virtues. And maybe that’s why Stephan continues to

2 comments:

  1. Your writing is really good- I like your observations and conclusions about the poem- its very interesting to see how you look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think what Caroline wrote was really what the poem was about. I never really thought about the poem like this until I read her post. I think it was a really good post and you can tell she put a lot of thought into writing it . I really enjoyed reading her views on the poem.

    ReplyDelete