Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Dear you,


Romeo and Juliet so far is a very interesting but hard to understand play. Because the language is different from what I am normally used to, and because I keep having to check the definitions on the left side of the page- paying attention and comprehending the story and what is going on becomes difficult and confusing! From what I can understand so far though is that there are two families: the Montague’s and the Capulet’s, The Montague’s are Romeos family and are very disliked by the Capulet’s. Bonvolio, a cousin to Romeo has seen him wandering about at night- while his father explains how he locks himself up in his room all day supposedly sleeping. In the story so far Juliet has not been introduced but Romeo has attended a party with Bonvolio to try to forget a girl that he loves that does not return his feelings, and this is where I am guessing she will come in. About the characters so far I understand that Romeo seems to me like a free soul that does not like to be confined by rules or status based on the way he sneaks out at night- and that Bonvolio is a calm level headed guy that likes to keep the peace based on the way that he tried to break up the fight between the servant Sampson and Abram. I also understand that Tybalt is a very angry hot headed Capulet who is quick to draw his sword and start a fight,  and Capulet and lord Montague believe one another is the foe. The prince seems to take no sides in these arguments and seems to only want to put an end to all this fighting.
If you want to take on this book then I strongly recommend re-reading the pages. Just by looking back at one sentence won’t help you to understand what they are saying, you must read the page again, scan the definitions on the left side and apply them to the text; basically my main advice is to take this very slowly and carefully because I have learned that it is easy to get lost in the old fashioned words that mean one thing when we think it means another. Also when a particular character has a very long speech, of course it is important to know what they are saying but as long as you grasp the basic idea and it makes sense with the other characters reply’s then there is no true need for you to spend an extended period of time trying to grasp the context of each and every sentence.
As you read this book I would like for you to help me seek some answers to some questions that I have. Why does Romeo escape in the late night? And why doesn’t this girl that Romeo is so infatuated with like him back? These answers could be right under my nose but there is so much going on is sure I skipped over them. When you read this book right back to me if you are able to find the answers.
Best of luck,
Sincerely Caroline Bozzuffi

No comments:

Post a Comment